YuMi: The world’s first truly collaborative dual-arm robot
In 1974, ABB introduced the IRB 6 robot and kick-started the modern industrial robotics era. It was the first commercially available industrial robot to feature all-electric drive and microprocessor control. Since then, the form factor and functionality of industrial robots has remained largely the same.
|Robot Version Reach Payload Armload|
|IRB 14000-0.5/0.5 500 mm 500 g No armload|
|IRB 14000 – 0.5/0.5|
|Payload 0.5 kg per arm|
|Reach 559 mm|
|Accuracy 0.02 mm|
|Footprint 399 mm * 497 mm|
|Customer interface Foot interface|
|Weight 38 kg|
|Mounting position Table|
|Temperature 5 C – 40 C deg|
|IP Protection IP 30|
|Clean room / food grade No|
We give you YuMi
The world’s first truly collaborative dual-arm robot
Industrial robots were largely confined to cages
Humans and robots worked separately
Robots and humans can work side by side YuMi literally removes the barriers to collaboration by making it possible to operate without safety fencing and cages
Inherently safe System of automated small parts assembly
|Axis movement range speed Max. Velocity|
|Axis 1 rotation -168.5° to 168. 5° 180°/s|
|Axis 2 arm -143.5° to 43.5° 180°/s|
|Axis 3 arm -123.5° to 80.0° 180°/s|
|Axis 4 wrist -290.0° to 290.0° 400°/s|
|Axis 5 bend -88.0° to 138.0° 400°/s|
|Axis 6 turn -229.0° to 229.0° 400°/s|
|Axis 7 rotation -168.5° to 168.5° 180°/s|
No need to alter existing working environments
With a human-sized profile, YuMi was intentionally designed to resemble its human counterpart.
It has a compact body and requires no more space than a standard workstation for humans.
* Human-robot Collaboration
Automating the processes that still require humans to be part of the solution and can’t be fully automated with existing technology. A complete system of collaboration makes for simpler programming, meaning factories don’t need as many engineering resources.
* More efficient and better
Automation with minimized safety risks and in compact spaces makes for easier factory installation utilizing existing floor space. Even partial automation of assembly lines results in much faster production.
* Programming so easy anyone could do it
With YuMi’s Lead-Through Programming technology, the complexity of traditional programming becomes a thing of the past. In fact, programming is so easy that anyone can do it intuitively – without special training or programming skills.
* Higher quality less waste
When humans and robots work together, it often results in surpassing the precision and speed of human-only work, resulting in higher quality products and less waste.
* Elevating the nature of work
Robots do the dull, dirty and dangerous jobs, allowing people to do the jobs that are less physically demanding. As people increasingly seek more mentally rewarding jobs, collaborative robots simultaneously make workplaces more appealing and replace the manufacturing skills that are disappearing from the workforce.
- The fifth-generation, integrated IRC5 controller with True Move and Quick Move™ motion control technology commands accuracy, speed, cycle-time, programmability and synchronization with external devices.
- I/O interfaces include Ethernet IP, Profibus, USB ports, DeviceNet™, communication port, emergency stop and air-to-hands. YuMi accepts a wide range of HMI devices including ABB’s teach pendant, industrial displays, commercially available tablets and smartphones.
- The 100-240 volt power supply plugs into any power socket for worldwide versatility.
|Integrated signal and power supply 24V Ethernet or 4 Signals|
|Integrated air supply 1 per Arm on tool Flange (4 Bar)|
Integrated ethernet One 100/10 Base-TX Ethernet
|Position repeatability 0.02|
|Robot mounting Table|
|Degree of protection IP30|
- Can operates equally effectively side-by-side or face-to-face with human coworkers.
- Servo grippers (the “hands”) include options for built-in cameras
- Real-time algorithms set a collision-free path for each arm customized for the required task.
- Padding protects coworkers in high-risk areas by absorbing force if contact is made.
- If the robot encounters an unexpected object – even a slight contact with a coworker – it can pause its motion within milliseconds, and the motion can be restarted again as easily as pressing play on a remote control.
- Pinch points have been eliminated or minimized to an acceptable level between moving parts, and between moving and stationary parts.